The strategy that Russia has been using in its war against Ukraine in recent weeks and months is now also being used by Turkey. We refer to the destruction of the energy supply by continuous bombing, causing also civilian casualties.
The Turkish airstrikes and bombardments on northern and eastern Syria started on the night of November 19-20, and we are now on the fourth consecutive day of heavy attacks in Western Kurdistan (Rojava).
What are the main findings since this rain of bombs started?
- Turkey relentlessly launches attacks on vital infrastructure, with oil and gas stations hit countless times.
- Casualties were reported following the bombing of oil and gas facilities, in which at least six civilians were injured: two engineers, Yasser Sattam and Abdul Karim Abdo, as well as four other workers: Abdurrahman al-Ahmad (22), Ibrahim al-Muhammad (43 ), Abdul Munim Khalifa (28) and Ziyad El Habib (35).
- The number of civilians and soldiers killed and injured to date has not been officially confirmed, but it is reported that 14 civilians have been taken to hospital due to their injuries in the Jazira region alone. This report only lists the confirmed victims, but the actual number is undoubtedly higher.
- The security forces checkpoint of the Al-Hol camp where thousands of IS fighters are imprisoned was the target of drone strikes, leading some IS terrrorists to flee the camp. This was reported by SDF spokesperson Farhad Shami.
- A local source told the Rojava Information Center (RIC) that a journalist was also injured by shelling in Kobanê.
- Turkey struck a location near a prison housing IS members in the village of Himo, just outside Qamishlo.
For many of the attacks, it is unclear whether they were with drones, fighter jets or shelling. RIC first lists the attacks that were confirmed as drone bombs, then lists all the other attacks.
CONFIRMED TURKISH DRONE ATTACKS
- 12:00 – al-Mabaqer station, a joint SDF-Russian base near Tel Tamir. 2 SDF soldiers were injured. In the aftermath of the first attack, other soldiers went to help the two wounded, whereupon another bomb was dropped. The final result was 2 SDF soldiers killed and 2 wounded. The Russian troops left the base just before the attack and then returned. This undeniably points to cooperation between Turkey and Russia.
- 1:00 pm – In Mesref village, near Qamishlo, a civilian vehicle was hit, injuring 3 civilians.
- 2:00 pm – The center of Zirgan and the nearby village of Ibrahimiye were both hit.
- 4:00 pm – Qererishk village near Kobane.
- 5:00 pm – Zirgan’s north entrance by drone. There are reports of civilian injuries.
- 5:00 pm – An oil station near Mashouk and an oil tank at Gel Hesnak station, southeast of Qamishlo town.
- 6:00 pm – Eleqose oil station.
- 6:00 pm – Masuke village in Cil Axa area.
- 7:00 pm – An Asayish checkpoint in Zirgan. 3 Asayish people were injured.
- 8:00 pm – al-Hol camp, home to more than 53,000 people, many of whom are individuals affiliated with IS. 3 attacks on the camp’s security forces were reported.
LIST OF AIR ATTACKS AND PROTECTIONS FROM TURKEY AND THE SYRIAN NATIONAL ARMY (SNA) DEEMED BY TURKEY
- Tirbespiye: The Odeh oil field and a little later the Dicle oil field.
- Cil Axa: The Tigris Oil Field.
- Qamishlo: Close to the COVID-19 hospital in Qamishlo city, two industrial areas in Masalun district of Qamishlo city. Villages of Sirkra, Tel Ziwan and Tel Fares.
- Tel Tamir: Um El Xer, Til Tewil, Shex Eli, Qibur el-Xercine, Gozeliye.
- Tel Kocher: Ali Agha, Kasai. Shehba: Menagh Airport (2 SAA killed, 2 injured), Tel Rifaat, Granada, Hasajek, Samouka, Beluniye, Ayn Daqna.
- Zirgan: Dada Abdal, al-Bubi, Um harmala, Ibrahimia, Zaydiyah (2 civilians wounded).
- Kobane: Xane, Koran, Yukari Shexler, Ashma, Charixli, Siftek, Zor Maghar, Zorava.
- Amude: Xerez, Til Kefe, Ezzedine Joli, Tel Hamdoun.
- Girke Lege: The countryside of Girke Lege.
- Derik: The gas fields in al-Suwaidiyah, which caused a fire. The villages of Shirik, Kocherat.
- M4 highway: M4 highway.
- Photos of the bombing of oil and gas infrastructure in the countryside of the Jazira region.
For more detail about all these attacks, and especially the demonstrable photo and video material, we refer to the newssite of ANF news.